Download page Server to Cloud Migration.
Server to Cloud Migration
Migrating App data
Step-by-step instructions for migrating the App data from the server to the cloud can be found on the following page.
Future of Server Licenses
On October 16, Atlassian announced that it is accelerating its journey to the Cloud and will move towards phasing out its Server products.
What's the deadline for licence purchases?
From February 2, 2021, no new server licenses will be sold. Three years later, on February 2, 2024, the support for all Atlassian server products will end.
If you're thinking of purchasing our products, you need to complete the transaction before the February deadline. Please note, the best solution would be to purchase our apps for two years. (as later extensions won't be possible). Keep in mind, you can always purchase a Data Center application for your Server instance.
Our products on Jira Cloud and Data Center
We want to remind you that no matter what version of our products you choose – be it Cloud, Data Center or Server – we will always offer you exactly the same scope of features and functions. Simply put, if you decide to migrate to Jira Cloud or Data Center, you will be able to use the same BigPicture, BigPicture Enterprise, or BigGantt that you and your organization are used to.
All data stored in the database is moved from Server to Cloud. After the migration, the following elements are copied automatically.
- Configuration of BigPicture (mapping, permissions, widget visibility, etc.),
- Creation of Boxes and configuration of the scope, view, Quick Filters, etc.,
- Configuration of Teams.
Upcoming easy migration mechanism
We are in a process of developing our own migration support mechanism, which has a dual purpose. We are creating a backup system, which not only will enable users to better secure operational and configurational data, but also enable smooth migration between different versions, hosting platforms, or even different products from our portfolio. This will allow organizations to choose the most suitable solution considering their own unique infrastructure and adaptability implementation process.
We anticipate that our migration mechanism will be available for our clients in 5 options:
- BigPicture Jira Server / DC Instance - Backup
- BigPicture Jira Cloud - Backup
- Jira Server to Jira Cloud - Migration using Jira XML + BigPicture snapshot
- Jira Server to Jira Cloud - Migration using Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA)
- BigGantt to BigPicture - Migration
BigPicture Enterprise users won't need to migrate any BigPicture Enterprise data to effectively move to the cloud hosting model. All they will need to do to use BigPicture Enterprise in the cloud model with all the data transferred from their on-prem instances is migrate data between basic instances of BigPicture and install a cloud version BigPicture Enterprise.
Option 1 - Possibility to backup BigPicture Jira Server / DC instances
Jira Server / DC BigPicture product family data will be possible to backup and restore on the same or another instance of Jira Server / DC (migration process). The following example use cases will be supported:
- App database scheme backup done automatically before every update (offering raised data protection and continuity in case of a rollback)
- App database scheme backup done and restored on the same instance on-demand (offering full integration with embedded Jira backup and restore mechanism)
- App database scheme backup done and restored on another instance of the Jira Server / DC. (offering cross-instance data migration available all at once).
Option 2 - Possibility to backup BigPicture Jira Cloud
Jira Cloud product family data (BigPicture, BigPicture Enterprise, BigGantt) will be possible to backup and restore on the same instance or different instance of Jira Cloud (migration process). We will support the following example use cases:
- Database backup done and restored on the same instance on-demand.
- Database backup done on one and restored on another instance of Jira Cloud. Cross-instance migration available - all data is migrated at once.
Option 3 - Possibility to migrate Jira Server to Jira Cloud using Jira XML + BigPicture snapshot
Jira Server instance can be migrated to a Cloud instance using Jira XML + BigPicture snapshot. This is an alternative solution for instances with more than 1000 users.
More about the process can be found here.
Option 4 - Possibility to migrate Jira Server to Jira Cloud using Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA)
Jira Server instance can be migrated to a Cloud instance using Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA). This process allows you to:
- Migrate Jira Server and the BigPicture plugin to Jira Cloud
- Migrate only Jira Server without the BigPicture plugin to Jira Cloud
More about the process can be found here.
Option 5 - Possibility to migrate BigGantt to BigPicture.
Backing up existing BigGantt and transferring its data to BigPicture within the same platform type.
We recommend a step-by-step approach, where specific initiatives or departments are transferred to a new Jira, followed by BigPicture instance gradually, as it’s the most secure technique. All the above options will give our customers a great opportunity to actively manipulate their data and get their envisioned results. We are still in a process of developing the final migration support mechanism and very shortly we will be able to announce its crystallized version.
The above-listed migration options will be introduced gradually in 2021Q4. We estimate the following timeline:
Below, you can track the progress of this initiative.
- ONE-2422Getting issue details... STATUS
- ONE-2869Getting issue details... STATUS
- ONE-31981Getting issue details... STATUS
- ONE-29627Getting issue details... STATUS
Support for our applications on Jira Server
We want to assure you that we plan to further develop our products for all platforms for as long as feasible. It means that at least till February 2024, our Server products will not only be fully supported but also continuously improved – along with Cloud and Data Center versions.
More info on the upcoming changes can be found on the following page.
In case of any problems
If you are still having trouble following these steps, or your problem is more complicated, you are always welcome to contact our Support Team via the Service Desk. We are always more than happy to help.