Download page Milestones.
You can track project milestones using the Infobar section in the Gantt module. Navigate to the selected milestone by clicking on the "Target" icon next to the milestone on the list.
Milestones can be interpreted as:
- Markers of reaching an identifiable stage in any task or project.
- Software release life cycle states.
On the timeline, milestones are represented as diamonds. The milestone duration is always one day.
Convert a task to a milestone
To convert a task to a milestone or vice versa, right-click on the selected task (on the task list) or use the ". . ." button in the vertical dialog:
Start/end date recalculation
If the task duration is more than 1 day, its end date is set as the milestone start and end dates. The milestone duration is always one day so the start date is the same as the end date.
During the conversion, the end date is synchronized with the start date. The end date becomes the milestone position.
- Changing the start date does not impact the end date. After refreshing the page, the start date is automatically set to the same date as the end date.
- Changing the end date impacts the start date. After refreshing the page, the start date is automatically updated to be the same as the new end date.
Create a basic task as a milestone
- Click the + (plus icon) > Create task > Basic task.
- Fill in the task information.
You can synchronize milestone information using the "Label" field. When you convert a task to a milestone, the app will create a #milestone label:
Labels will be added or removed in the following scenarios:
- A task is converted into a milestone -> the #milestone label in Jira is added.
- A milestone is converted into a regular task -> the #milestone label in Jira is removed.
- A milestone is converted into a parent task -> the #milestone label in Jira is removed.
To generate labels you need to configure the filed mapping in Task when a milestone is created.
Milestone overview - Infobar
You can show the list of milestones using the Gantt's Infobar:
- Only milestones expanded on the Gantt chart are visible on the list.
- If a user wants to see only milestones from selected parent tasks, they need to expand those parent tasks and collapse parent tasks they are not interested in.
- If a user wants to see all the milestones in the program, they need to expand all of the tasks by clicking "Expand all" on a tree root column header.