Thanks to Quick Filters, you can narrow down the data displayed to any JQL (Jira Query Language) statement. This gives you great flexibility as to what is displayed in the window.
You can find more information on JQL as an advanced form of searching, query types, and more in the official Atlassian Jira documentation.
Keep in mind:
- A “Box type” contains the default settings applicable to multiple Boxes (all Boxes of a given type). Those settings are adjusted in Box type administration.
- Box configuration refers to the settings of a single, individual Box. They are dependent on the “Box type” settings.
Security and access
- Only a user with a minimum Box admin security role can access and change the Box configuration.
- To access this page:
- Click the Switch module button
- Click the Configuration button
- Select Tasks > Quick Filters from the left navigation pane
Depending on the Box type configuration and Inheritance mode selected, this tab may not be available. For example, when Inheritance mode is set to 'Inherited Only,' the Quick filter tab is hidden. To edit the filters, go to the Box configuration of the upper-level Box with Inheritance mode set to 'Own' or 'Own with inherited.'
Once you create the filters, you can apply them using the filter picker located on the module's header. You can combine your filters using the "AND" and "OR" operators instead of predefining long and complicated JQL filters.
For example, the 'In progress tasks' Quick Filter is selected and added as a favorite using the Scope module.
Quick Filter default configuration
By default, some filters are predefined using Box types. You can edit or delete them if the Inheritance mode is set to 'Own' or "Own with inherited.' When the Quick Filters are inherited Box admin will not be able to edit them in the sub-Box configuration.
Adding Quick Filters
To create a filter:
- Click the + button
- Enter the following information:
- Name – will be displayed in the Quick Filter drop-down and on the favorite Quick Filters buttons. You can also search the list of quick filters using the name.
- Description – use this additional text field too, for example, to explain complicated queries. The description will appear in the tooltip when you hover over the favorite Filter button.
- Query – JQL query with validation indicated by the "JQL" icon (green = correct, red = incorrect). You will not be able to save an incorrect filter.
A parent issue that does not fit the JQL query will be shaded out even though its children do.
Example of a Description tooltip in the Gantt module.
Changing the order of Quick Filters
A Box admin can change the order in which the Quick Filters are listed in the drop-down.
Method 1 → Drag-and-drop
Method 2 → Shift + arrow
- Select a filter by clicking on it
- Move a filter → hold down the "Shift" key, and press the up/down arrow to move a filter
- Navigate between filters → let go of the "Shift" key and use the up/down arrows to select a different filter