Download page Group Tasks.
The Group tasks option grants you the possibility to sort and organize data using different field values with just a few clicks. To simplify data analysis, the created groups will be marked in colors, both, on the task list and on the timeline indicating the earliest start and the latest date of the tasks in a particular group.
Grouping doesn't permanently alter the WBS (task structure) - data is temporarily reorganized. As a result, the task hierarchy is not displayed when data is grouped.
Expand the Data drop-down menu and select the Group tasks option.
Next, you will be able to perform the following actions:
- activate grouping elements to create groups
- define the order of grouping elements
- specify the color of grouping elements
The color is reflected:
- on the task structure
- on the timeline
To select a color, click on the icon in the Color column:
- Hover the mouse cursor over a group heading.
- Click X to deactivate a particular grouping
- Go to Data > Group tasks
- Deactivate grouping by:
- adjusting toggle switches
- using the Deactivate all button
- Click Apply to save changes
Available grouping options
To group using a specific field, make sure it is added as a column using first.
With the multi-level grouping method, tasks will be counted in each group. The group structure will be based on the active grouping elements. The order of grouping elements (fields) defines the group hierarchy.
A task cannot be duplicated, which means that a task can belong to a single group only.
Let's have a closer look at the example presented in the picture.
The tasks were sorted by the Status field and next by Priority. You can collapse/expand the groups. Based on the information displayed, we can see that there are four "lowest" priority tasks in a "To Do" status.
Filtering grouped tasks
The grouping functionality can be combined with other filters (such as search, date filters, and quick filters).
- The Key and Summary columns cannot be used for grouping.
- All WBS (task structure operations) are disabled - when task grouping is active, the WBS structure is ignored and can't be modified.
- Grouping is based on visible columns - if the new column view doesn't contain columns that were used for grouping, grouping is cleared.